Sometimes all you need is a good sandwich, and this one is a goooood sandwich. What makes this sandwich so good is the smoky tofu! Thin slices of tofu with barbecue style seasoning. Call it vegan ham, call it vegan pastrami, it doesn’t matter, the main thing is that it’s delicious.
How to make vegan smoky tofu ham?
For making the tofu “ham” use firm tofu. The first step is slicing the tofu.
Slice the tofu into thin slices – about 2-3 mm/ 1/8-inch. Since the tofu is sliced so thin, there’s no need to dry it before marinating.
Making the marinade
The marinade has barbecue style flavors (not accurate BBQ, more inspired by). The main flavor in this marinade is smoked paprika. I looove smoked paprika, and I really recommend keeping one in your pantry. If you don’t use smoked paprika often – you can store it in your freezer. In addition to the smoked paprika, the marinade also has in it soy sauce, silan (date syrup), tomato paste, wine vinegar and black pepper. If you don’t have silan on hand – sub it with maple syrup or molasses. Mix all the ingredients together to a smooth paste.
After preparing the marinade it’s time to marinade the tofu. Use a shallow container and place one layer of the tofu slices. Next, brush the tofu slices with the barbecue style marinade. Place another layer of tofu slices on top, and again spread the marinade on top using a brush. Repeat for all the tofu. If there is any marinade left at the end – pour it on top. Finally, cover the container, either with a lid or plastic wrap, and let it marinade in the fridge for an hour.
Baking the vegan smoky tofu ham –
Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Place the vegan tofu “ham” on a tray, lined with baking paper or a silicone mat. The “ham” slices should be placed next to each other and not on top of each other. Using a brush, spread some of the marinade left in the dish. Bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove it from the oven and carefully flip the tofu slices to the other side. Spread all that is left of the marinade on the tofu slices and bake for another 10 minutes.
Next it’s just a matter of assembling the sandwich. Use any of your favorite bread (for a gluten-free version – use GF bread) or wrap it in lettuce leaves (delicious!). Apply a spread you like – pesto, vegan mayo, tahini etc. And of course – don’t forget to add vegetables.
Keep the vegan tofu “ham” in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to a week.
Looking for more delicious vegan recipes?
- Vegan white bean and almonds meatballs
- Green lentil and mushroom soup
- Vegan sweet potato shepherd’s pie
- Green curry with charred tofu, green vegetables and coconut cream
Vegan Smoky Tofu Ham
- 300 gr/ 10 oz firm tofu
For the marinade –
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp date syrup (silan), you can sub it with maple syrup or molasses
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
To assemble the sandwich – your favorite bread, spread and vegetables
- Slice firm tofu into thin slices, about 2-3 mm/ 1/8-inch thick.
- Prepare the marinade – in a small bowl place all the ingredients: soy sauce, tomato paste, date syrup, wine vinegar, smoked paprika and ground black pepper. Mix well to obtain a smooth paste.
- Prepare a shalow container and place in it a single layer of tofu slices. Using a brush, spread the tofu slices with some of the marinade. Arrange another layer of tofu slices on top, and again brush it with the marinade. Repeat for all the tofu slices. If there is any marinade left – pour it into the dish on top of the tofu slices. Cover the dish, using a lid or plastic wrap, and transfer to the refrigerator for an hour (possibly up to 12 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper or silicone mat.
- Arrange the marinated tofu slices on the baking tray in a single layer (not on top of the other). Using a brush, generously spread some of the marinade on the tofu slices, keeping aside the remaining marinade. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. After, carefully remove the tray from the oven and flip the tofu slices to the other side. Brush the tofu slices again with all the remaining marinade and return to the oven to bake for another 10 minutes. Let it cool.
- Use the vegan smoky tofu "ham" and put together a sandwich according to your preferences. Use your favorite bread or make lettuce wraps, along with a good spead and of course vegetables. I used a rustic baguette, mint-cilantro pesto, roasted peppers and lettuce. delicious!
- Keep in the fridge for up to a week in an airtight container.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out!
comment below or share it on instagram and tag #thehappylentils