A very delicious quinoa salad, with sweet potatoes, carrots and red onions, which are baked in the oven. The quinoa and baked vegetables are wrapped in a wonderful dressing of olive oil, lemon juice and date syrup (silan), which compliments the sweetness from the baked vegetables. This is the kind of salad that holds up well. You can definitely make it in one day and enjoy it 3-4 days later. If you want to turn this salad into a meal on its own – add cooked chickpeas (protein!)
How to make?
Firstly, preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Peel the sweet potatoes and carrots and slice into cubes. Slice the sweet potatoes into cubes of about 0.5-inch/1.5 cm, and the carrots into smaller cubes – about 0.25-inch/1 cm. Peel the red onion and than cut lengthwise into eighths. Place the vegetables on a baking sheet, drizzle over olive oil and season with a pinch of salt. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes.
While the vegetables are in the oven, cook the quinoa. There are two main methods for cooking quinoa. The first is similar to cooking rice and the second is similar to cooking pasta. I like to cook quinoa like rice – in a suitable pot heat olive oil. Add the quinoa and salt to the pot, and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add water in a ratio of 1: 2. That is, for every cup of quinoa – 2 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. After boiling, lower to a low heat and cook until all the water is absorbed into the quinoa, about 25 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the pot covered for at least another 5 minutes.
The salad dressing has in it olive oil, lemon juice, date syrup (silan), salt and black pepper. I love silan – date syrup. It has the sweetness of dates and deep flavors. However, if you don’t have silan on hand, you can replace it with maple syrup. There is a bit of sweetness in the dressing that compliments very well with the light sweetness of the baked vegetables. I like to make dressings in a jar – put all the ingredients in, place the lid and shake until well combined.
After that, the final step in the quinoa salad is to assemble it. Place all the ingredients in a bowl: cooked quinoa, baked cubes of sweet potatoes and carrots, baked red onion and chopped parsley. Pour over the dressing and mix well. Enjoy!
Here are some more great recipes for salads :
- Green Salad with Charred Broccoli and Avocado
- Farro Salad with Cauliflower, Fennel and Tahini Dressing
- Antipasto Brown Rice Salad
- Winter Green Salad
Quinoa Salad with Sweet Potatoes and Carrots
For cooking the quinoa –
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the baked vegetables –
- 1 sweet potato, medium to larg
- 2 carrots
- 1 red onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the dressing –
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon date syrup (silan) or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Prepare a pan lined with baking paper or a silicone mat.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into 0.5-inch/1.5-2 cm long cubes. Peel and slice the carrots into 0.25-inch/1 cm long cubes. Slice the red onion lengthwise into eighths. Place the chopped vegetables on the baking pan, drizzle over olive oil and season with salt. Mix gently so that all the vegetables are covered in oil and flatten them into one layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are ready and lightly golden.
- At the same time, cook the quinoa. In a small pot, heat olive oil. Add the quinoa and salt, and sauté for 2-3 minutes while stirring. Add 2 cups of water, stir and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil, then lower to a low heat and cook until all the water is absorbed into the quinoa, about 25 minutes. Leave the quinoa pot covered for at least 5 more minutes after the end of cooking.
- Prepare the dressing – in a jar with a lid, place all the dressing ingredients. Close the jar and shake until a smooth dressing is obtained.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a suitable bowl – cooked quinoa, baked sweet potato and carrot cubes, baked red onion and chopped parsley. Pour over the dressing and mix gently. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out!
comment below or share it on instagram and tag #thehappylentils